It was a good decision to skip Slovenia when I departed from Budapest for the former Yugoslavia. It got me a free place to stay when I finally did finally make my way to Ljubljana.
Caroline and Annika, a Québécoise and a Belgian who I met in my Sarajevo hostel last week, have been gracious enough to lend me their landlord's bed for the past two nights, while their landlord has been out in the country side at the "temple" that he built, whatever that means. (He still has no idea that his bed has been offered out to a stranger, which is why I got the hell out of bed this morning and peaced out before having to introduce myself with my name + "Thanks for letting me sleep in your bed.")
Ljubljana, no matter what anyone tells you, is NOT in the Balkans. Lonely Planet is full of it, like always.
If Vienna decided to build a doll house, it'd be this place.
I mean, there is a chandelier hanging above the main circle in the town center. As in, the main circle that is a road. A chandelier hanging above a road, with buses, cars, human traffic and the "tourist train" (think any American zoo) all passing underneath it, all day. These guys used to hold "Brotherhood and Unity" with the Croats, Bosniaks and Serbs? I feel like I am in a weird dream, because people I pass on the sidewalks are speaking a Slavic language when they're supposed to be speaking German.
Thursday, October 19, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment