Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Sarajevo, Bosnia and Hercegovina.

Even EUFOR peacekeepers feel like taking a photo on their digital cameras every now and then. This city -- the capital of BiH, a majority of it Muslim -- is too beautiful not to.


But I can't help but wonder -- would these EUFOR peacekeepers be better served elsewhere in Bosnia and Hercegovina? Like, say, oh, I don't know, Mostar?

I leave Budapest after two and a half weeks of living amongst the Magyars -- mass demonstrations and the highest level of tension in the Hungarian capital since the 1956 Revolution take place just a few days later. And what happens when, after three nights of living amongst the Croats, I leave Mostar? An RPG slams into a mosque -- where it was located, I have yet to discern -- in the city divided by a river between Catholic and Muslim communities.

"Those damn Serbs..."

Right?

I doubt it.

There really aren't too many Serbs left in Mostar. My money would place the blame upon the shoulders of a Catholic Croat, possibly upset by reports of a Catholic graveyard having been desecrated the day before. And when you factor in the fact that the attack took place at 4:30 a.m., when there aren't going to be too many Muslims inside, I'm gonna take a plunge and say it was some drunk Catholic Croat, after a night out on the town with all his Ustashe-reborn buddies.

The "Lewis MacKenzie Theory" -- a tongue-in-cheek reference to the former head of UN operations in Sarajevo, coined by yours truly -- would blame the Bosnian Muslims themselves, without proof, of attacking their own mosque, as a way to garner sympathy of the internation community. That ain't what happened in Mostar on Tuesday; I'll bet the house.

"Be Careful -- Bosnia's Crazy," Wes said while I was in Croatia...

It'll be fine.

I hope. Posted by Picasa

No comments: