Thursday, November 02, 2006

The graffiti in Ljubljana was the best I have seen. In the Balkans, it was trash. In the non-Balkan part of the former Yugoslavia, it was art.


Less is more.

People tried to tell me while I was there that no one in the country had any love lost for the Tito dictatorship. I sure found a lot of places that bucked that trend -- his portrait can still be found throughout the former Yugoslavia, even in Ljubljana. He may have been a dictator who sucked all the money into Belgrade, "Brotherhood and Unity" style, but Josip Broz Tito was still half-Slovene, and despite the relative prosperity of this country in relation to the rest of the "republics," a lot of people miss the good ole days.

Brilliant work. A is for the internet, invented by a former U.S. presidential candidate. M is for corporate domination. E is for ... corporate domination. R is for ... corporate domination. I is for one of two things, which the four of us argued over: Elise and I said it was a rocket, a tribute to NASA (this could just be a Houston bias, though a Quebecoise agrees with me, so there); the other two people with us contend that it stands for a missile, or a bomb. But seriously, guys, when was the last time a bomb had a checker board painted on it?? I is for NASA. K is for ... none of us could figure out what K (the artsy way of writing 'C') is for. And the upside down A is symbolic of the about face AMERIKA's image has taken in the unipolar age, in the eyes of the international community.

I'm not into art, mainly because I am not deep enough to understand it really, but I know one thing: This is art.

And this? This is just scary ... but it's cool, huh? (He is saying "Good night!")

 Posted by Picasa

No comments: