Thursday, January 04, 2007

Pergamon, Turkey.

Alexander the Great. One of Alexander the Great's generals, who receives it when his boss dies. Inherited by Rome when somebody else important dies, later on.

And that's about all I've got for you.

I wish I could tell you more about this ancient city, but I honestly just can't remember anything else.


Though he got sick and couldn't even make it out of his bed that day at the Izmir hotel, my dad had already thrown down the cash for a nice tour guide named Eti to make the drive to Pergamon and show us the ropes.

Unfortunately for Eti, I come from the A.D.D. generation.


She lost me at 'hello.'


"As you can see, the barrel vaults to your right are typical Greek architecture. The Romans, who invented mortar only much later, were able to pick up on Byzantine ..."

Attention ..... "building styles, and really..." .... is .... " improve upon...." .... drifting ... "their lack of..." ....

Wooooooow, look at the colors!

...away.


I do wonder, though. When was it, exactly, that human beings officially began to suck at building stuff?


I doubt many people will be visiting Southside Place, USA 2,000 years from now, to marvel at ancient American architecture.

That is, of course, unless the metal roof from 3764 Garnet survives the nuclear holocaust that takes place between now and then.

No comments: