1) Mohammed.
One of the veterans at Soweto, his jumpless J reminds me of a skinny, dreadless Sam Perkins. His day job, though, is mandazi chef on the streets of Arusha.
Mohammed is the man.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2) One of our several house mates.
We pretty much coexist.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
3) Tanzanian Driving School.
It's an oxymoron: "Tanzanian" and "Driving School" together. People here drive like it's Independence Day; pre-Jeff Goldblum solution to save the world.
I always try to get lifts from these cars. They never pick me up, even though it's something every driver needs to learn here, just as we all learn how to go through the Drive Thru in the States.
Karma took care of them on this day.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
4) An African Teacher, indeed.
Of course, Burning Spear is actually Jamaican, not African. But his message is for the Diaspora, and I'm glad to see some Tanzanians taking note of his lessons.
I love Burning Spear. His show my last semester at UVa was one of the best concerts I saw in college. When I pulled out my camera to snap this shot -- I just had to do it -- they started yelling at me from across the street: "Mzunguuuuu!"
How else could I respond but with the bass line to "Old Marcus Garvey."
"BUM BUM, BUM, BUM-BUM, BUM-BUM, BUM, BUM-BUM, BUM-BUM, BUH DUH-DUH, DUH, DUH-DUH!"
"YEEAHHHHH!!" the African Pupils all screamed. A Mzungu knows Burning Spear!
Seen.

No comments:
Post a Comment