You know when you overhear someone's conversation, and they say something that you really want to comment on, but you feel like it would be awkward and/or rude to do so?
This is happening to me right now.
Ms. Chatterbox behind me has been talking at a hundred miles an hour since she and her punk rock suitor sat down. They clearly do not know one another very well, as their conversation so far has consisted of her nervous, self-absorbed, rambling pontifications (sounds like me!), and his numerous replies to this ongoing monologue, such as "Wow," "No way," "Dang," "Uh huh," "Right," and then, of course, that laugh you do when someone talking laughs at a point they've just made -- this laugh is as calculated and awkward as any of the aforementioned lines.
Here is the part that made me want to cut in. Ms. Chatterbox is the one speaking:
"My dad is trying to convince me to take a trip around the world when I graduate. And I'm like, 'Dad, I don't want to take a trip around the world.' And he's all, 'Why not? I did when I finished college.' And I'm like, 'Well, you had bigger balls than me I guess.' I'm just worried about what might happen if I just decide to take a walk around the world for a year, because then, I'll never want to stop traveling."
I am dying here; I want to cut in so bad. In fact, the reason I'm at this coffee shop to begin with is because I have a day off from the rim job and I was trying to take advantage of this time to get some writing done on this book, which is about taking a walk around the world, and not ever wanting to stop traveling.
Ms. Chatterbox is still talking. And her guy just did another calculated laugh, then said, "Oh my God." Then he said, "That's crazy." This guy is struggling to get a word in.
"And think about the economic situation: if I leave now, what will it be like when I come back? How will I find a job?"
Yup, thaaaaat's pretty much where I'm at. My dad would love this girl.
Now it's just getting ridiculous. She is still talking. The poor guy. He hasn't had an original thought in over 10 minutes. The closest thing to a sentence has been, "How's the coffee? Is it good?" She said yes. His response: "Sweeeet."
I just want to turn around and pull a Dr. Evil hush maneuver on this girl.
Monday, November 03, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment