Not quite Fort Knox
I'll admit it: I didn't think it was possible. When the bartender at Eddie George Grille said it'd be "easier to break into Fort Knox than break into that thing," I didn't find his prediction to be that bold. Did not think that the second largest university in America, The Ohio State University, would just leave their football stadium, The Horseshoe, open to the public, and allow us to just stroll right in on the second day of the New Year.

But thanks to Chase and Wes, who don't take no for an answer, that's exactly what we did.
(Dave, a Jersey kid who models himself after the Big O in his rap alter ego, was scared to go on the field. He thought we would get in trouble. Real tough, Dave. Real tough.)


I know, Colt McCoy had a great pass to Quan Cosby to beat Ohio State in the Fiesta Bowl two nights ago. But you didn't see the pass I threw to Tom, from 20 yards out at The Horseshoe three days earlier. It was like Brian Griese to Charles Woodson, circa 1997. Buckeye killers.
I also made a sick touchdown grab of my own, with the sun in my eyes, Tener in my dust, and nothing but red around my feet as I ran across the end zone.
Tom, Wes and I dominated the home team in three-on-three. Then we all took turns kicking field goals.

The best part of my entire trip to Columbus was coming away from it with a new go to line. For the rest of my life, every time I see a kicker miss a field goal of 40 yards or less, whether during a college or pro game, I'll say to the television in disgust, "Even DAVE can make that kick!"
And any time a kicker misses an extra point?
"Looks like Wes."
If only the woman who watched us play from the stands had been able to understand that no, I didn't want her to zoom in like so, I would have had a great panoramic shot of us inside the O.


P.S. Tom, a.k.a. K-Fed, has an earring.

And also, we found out that Ohio's real claim to fame, now that their football team is officially unable to win big bowl games, is that it is home to the first Wendy's.

Which is now closed.

No comments:
Post a Comment