Friday, May 29, 2009

Some of us have to work for a living.


There was a piece of white computer paper taped to my front door two days ago when I got home from work. The last time I saw a piece of white computer paper taped to that door when I got home from work, it was a notice of if-you-don't-pay-me-a.s.a.p.-you're-evicted. So I don't like seeing pieces of paper taped to my door when I get home from work.

I hopped off my bike, still panting, and rolled my baby -- also known as my sweet road bike -- down my front porch, which is lined with wall-to-wall free Craiglist seating (a 12-foot church pew and a classy, blue diner booth bench), and up to the front door, and the white piece of paper.

"What will it be this time..."

Okay, so I don't get it: I don't pay a single gas bill yet, in four months of living here, and they're gonna tell me now that a debt collection agency is after me? I thought gas was ... was .... free! I swear!

"Shit..."

Then I read the note.

It was just a warning to all residents that the water would be turned off sometime the next day for sewage repairs.

"Nice!"

Free gas is the only way to go.

My neighbor Alex came outside about ten minutes later, and I brought up the water cuts. By that time, I noticed that pieces of white paper had been plastered atop every door in the entire compound.

"Yeah," he said, in the most Wisconsin/Michigan accent you're going to find in these parts. Alex is as laid back as they come, too, and he speaks like it. "Better make sure you get your shower in tomorrow before 10."

Before what time?

"Before what time?" I asked. "Do you really wake up at 10?"

"Yeah man."
Alex was standing in the parking lot next to Carl, (or is it Karl? Hmm. Not sure. He's from Sweden), who I see every morning as he gets in his car to go to work (he still doesn't know my name, and calls he "bro" or "brother"), while I'm having coffee on the diner bench, reading work emails.

"Dude," I said, "some of us have to work for a living!"

I had been waiting my entire life to deliver that line. And now, just like when I got filmed today for a Gatti's Pizza commercial singing their little ditty for the camera, I can cross yet another thing off of my life's list.

No comments: