Thursday, September 23, 2010

"probably i need to go outside"


There was a discussion today on one of our email lists at work about a double rainbow. Here is what the email (subject line: DOUBLE RAINBOW!) said:


It's outside right now!

I think it might be turning into a TRIPLE rainbow!

OH MY GOD!!!!

It's so intensE!!

It was a joke, of course. If you don't get it, stop reading, and do me two favors before you continue.


1) Watch this:






2) Watch this:






There are a lot of international employees at my job. They all speak English, but some are better than others.

One of these foreigners is a girl whom I will call Yingtai, to protect her identity. Yingtai is from China, and actually speaks about the best English I've ever encountered for someone from this country.

But while Yingtai is basically fluent, she isn't a walking dictionary. She struggles to understand pop culture references. That's always the last thing you learn when you're learning a new language.


When Yingtai saw that I had replied to the thread about the intense double rainbow that was starting to look like a triple rainbow, claiming that it was so vivid that I couldn't even capture it on my camera, she sent me an instant message.


She has a window seat, you see, but she couldn't see any full on double rainbow all the way across the sky. And she wanted to know one thing about the email chain claiming it was out there: What does this mean?



Yingtai
11:57
where is the double rainbow

Me
12:00
it's full on
all the way across the sky
so intense
do you not see it?

Yingtai
12:03
I went to your seat and tried to see what I can find, but still nothing
and nothing can be seen from my seats...

Me
12:04
yingtai, what does this mean?

Yingtai
12:05
I mean, I saw discussion on the list, and I really want to see double rainbow. and you said you see it very intense, I thought you are in the office, so I walked to your seat, but still can't find anything from there

Me
12:05
well i can see it from marko's house, too
i'm not at the office
oh my god
it's starting to look like a TRIPLE rainbow now
WHOA!

Yingtai
12:06
could you please take a picture? I never saw that before, really want to see it

Me
12:06
whoaaaaa ho hooo, OH MY GOD!
whoooooooooo!
WOW
yingtai
you need to look again

Yingtai
12:06
..?

Me
12:06
i am about to cry, it is so amazing
oh my god it's full on

Yingtai
12:07
probably I need to go outside

Me
12:07
what does this mean??
it's so bright
oh my god it's so bright and vivid
OHHH!

Yingtai
12:07
wait...
are you just kidding???????

Me
12:08
yes
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQSNhk5ICTI

Yingtai
12:08
I hate you



By the way, she forgave me. After I gave her a hug, and read an exchange she'd had with another one of our coworkers, in which she said, "I hate him."

No comments: