Wednesday, August 16, 2006

"I think I'm just going to go to Berkshire and try to Europeanize them."

That's the gameplan Didrik -- James and Sissy's youngest son -- is taking with him to Massachusetts this fall, where he will be spending the next year of his life at boarding school.

Good luck, buddy.


As you can see, Didrik is about as Euro as they come. The hair, the headband, the bike, the hood when it's not cold, the total package. He is fashionable. He listens to house, techno, trance. He loves to go to clubs and dance until the sun comes up. He is from Europe.

I had a feeling that I had met him before when I first shook his hand. He looked like someone I knew, someone I hadn't seen for a few years ...



He looked like Sunshine Bass from Remember The Titans. I realized it about four days into the trip. Maybe not as filled out, but certainly has the core elements. (If you saw Didrik's hair, you'd understand). This of course turned out to be an amazing connection, because of a story Didrik told me about his recent trip to Greece.

"My friends and I were walking down the street, and these Greek guys, they all started yelling at us. They were saying we're gay, or something," he told me, clearly confused as to how someone like himself could ever be labelled in such a way. "So we just walked up to their table and said, 'In your dreams,' and walked away. It was great."

Do you remember the scene when Sunshine was called gay? And he went up to the guy and just planted one on him? Kind of close? No?

Well, I was truly amazed at how long Didrik was able to sleep on the car ride back from Bergen to Oslo. About six out of the seven hours, he layed there, in the back of the Houston-mobile.

I wonder if he was dreaming about Sunshine. Posted by Picasa

No comments: