Tanzania, Mwindaji anarudi.
Hunter is going back to Tanzania on Monday.
Mwindaji (the literal translation for Hunter in Swahili) won't be working for the same organization this time around, nor will he be returning to Arusha, but he'll be working there for another year, out in Monduli, in Maasai lands, for a group that he actually believes in, and a boss he believes in.
And he'll be working with kids, once again.
Which may be a good or a bad thing, depending on how you feel about his treatment of Deriki in this video from Patandi.
I'm glad Hunter's going back to being Mwindaji, because it will give me an excuse to go visit. And it will give me a way to keep my Swahili fresh, because you know Mwindaji's only going to get better at it while mine slips away from memory. (I freaked out last night when I couldn't remember the word for "half," but this morning, the first thing that popped into my head was nusu.)
"Imekuwa nyumbani," someone once said to me after I told him how long the two of us had been in Tanzania. "It's become home." For Hunter, I'd say that is the case.

No comments:
Post a Comment