Saturday, August 12, 2006

This is the last thing I'm writing about Denmark before I move onto what's been going on in my world for the last 13 days: Norway and now back in Holland, ready to go see Alpha Blondy, Steel Pulse and Israel Vibration all play in the same day in the same place: the Reggae Sundance Festival in Eindhoven, NL (I skipped the first two days, because I don't really even want to see Sizzla or Anthony B, because I am not in the mood for the bobo dread BS -- like four of you understood that, tops).

And then, I will finally get back to the home base in Morges, CH, about four weeks after telling the Knapps I'd be back "in about a week, maybe two."
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Cool! You can, like, pee in the shower and not have to lie about it!!"

We can learn something from the showers in old, small apartments in the heart of Copenhagen: There's a reason fat people don't exist in Europe. You just can't afford to be if you want to be able to bathe in some of these places.

That's a shower head spurting a torrent of hot water into the bathroom sink at the apartment Josefine was house-sitting.


Next to the sink is the toilet, along with the washing machine. In a way, it's a very American idea, except for the whole "not big" thing. Talk about efficiency. Finally, I can pee in the shower without having to claim that I never, ever do that!

(Unfortunately, because of the extension cord that is needed to plug the washing machine in rests directly in the sink, you can't do three things at once).


It's extremely disorienting.


For example, where are you supposed to put the shower head when you want to lather? Pretty much nothing works. Bury it down into the drain, and the force of the water rebounding immediately knocks it onto its side and water is going all over the wall. Try laying it upside down, and even if you can find it a little niche to rest in, the water is now spraying up in the air and landing all throughout a surface area about 100 times the diameter of the fountain's base.

I settled on just letting it rest on the side of the sink; it seemed to be the best option. Either way, the post-shower squeegy (is there even a correct spelling for that word?) that you've got to give to the tiles on the wall takes care of the mess.


But I like it in the end, for the peeing reason. Posted by Picasa

No comments: