Wednesday, November 12, 2008

What I didn't learn in primary school that I wish we all had.


When you're on the phone with someone, and you get cut off, I think there should be an understanding that the one who made the initial call be expected to redial. This is America; you get tacked for minutes whether you make or receive a call, unlike Europe or Africa. So it doesn't matter financially whether or not you've got to make multiple calls. Rather than play this little game, where we both call back and get one another's voice mail, or where both of us wait and there's a two minute lull, at which point we both dial and get one another's voice mail, we should just know: the person who called is redialing.

It's related to the issue of when two people are walking towards one another on the sidewalk. We've all done it thousands of times in our lives. You see a person headed your way; they see you; let the zig zags begin. Oh-oh-oh-ooohhhh, in body language, until you pass one another and continue on. Why is there not a set direction each person goes? We've got rules like this for driving. We should just transfer them to walking. If you're in a country where you drive on the right hand side of the road, each person should go right. If you're in England or any of the other former British colonies, like Bermuda or Tanzania, where people drive on the left, you should go left. Mainland China, go right. Hong Kong, go left. Enough with the oh-oh-ohhh body language when both people start zig-zagging all over the place for the last ten yards before crossing paths.

"But Bayless, how will this dream become a reality? How can you spread the word that this is the way things should be done? No one reads your blog; this surely isn't a sufficient mouthpiece."

Easy. Eliminate useless information on Helen Keller and Amelia Earhart and the Pledge of Allegiance in primary schools, and replace it with "do's and don't's" of everyday life.

(That was the first time I've ever written "do's and don't's," and I can't help but notice how awkward the two apostrophes in "don't's" appears.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

B, I have no idea if this includes the last time I called at 11:30 and woke you up, but sorry yo. And I vote other way around. Maybe. Especially if the receiver has been woken up. Maybe the dialer thought the receiver was way tired. Ciaooooo.