Wednesday, March 11, 2009

The Netherlands?


What an upset. What an 11th inning rally. I'm sure the reaction back home was ... muted. A complete lack of knowledge about the sport + a big fat spliff in your mouth = scattered applause. Trust me. Boo Boo and I watched the incredible Poland-Germany World Cup game from a coffee shop in Amsterdam back in 2006, and not even a game-winning goal in the 91st minute was enough to elicit a single swear word from the entire joint (what a pun). And that was World Cup soccer, in Europe. This is baseball. In Europe. I wonder how many Dutch people even know what an out is.

I would love to know how many of their players have lived 80 percent or more of their lives in that country, because they look like real baseball players. And let's say it out loud: the Netherlands playing David to the Dominicans' Goliath was a victory for pothead sports fans across North America. Just think how many of those fitted WBC Netherlands hats you would've seen at the Phish reunion shows in Virginia last week had this game taken place about six weeks earlier -- enough time for the powers that be to get off their asses and make these hats available online, plus the time it takes to ship and handle (by the way, what does "shipping and handling" even mean? Why can't they just say shipping?). People would be bouncin' round the room with their new Dutch baseball hats, all a quarter to a half size too big, backwards or forwards, and pushed slightly to the side, with long hair poking out underneath. Just waitin' for the day, when they can hear the Dutch players say, "This has all been wonderful, but now we're on our way!"



Guarantee there will be at least one guy at the next Phish show who is wearing an orange NL hat and a Bill Walton Blazers jersey.


Because even though it was Down with D...R., you know the Dutchmen are about to get booted in the next round.

Speaking of, I just spent the last half hour searching the Internet for one of the NL hats -- and one of the Cuba ones, too, for my friend Miguel, who is related to Fidel -- and they are not sold anywhere. WTF? Neither are the Venezuelan hats. I wonder if it's a US government conspiracy to keep us from repping dictatorships and countries that have legalized pot and prostitution. After the whole diplomatic row that took place in the first WBC with Cuba, I wouldn't be surprised. (The Treasury Department -- guided by Bush -- rejected the Cubans' application to join the field of 16 because of concerns that any financial gain made by Havana would violate the embargo. Castro, that wily old fox, responded by offering to donate all proceeds to the displaced victims of Hurricane Katrina. It was a political chess move around which the embattled Bush could not maneuver in February 2005. The Cubans were allowed to play. And they came one win away from hoisting the championship trophy on American soil.)

I was beaming as I read about the redemption of Eugene Kingsdale and the greatest upset in the history of international baseball. Do you believe in miracles?? YES! Or at least, it was the greatest upset anyone who isn't autistic can recall in the history of international baseball.

Then I found out something that made me even happier, as a result of reading about the WBC: Fidel Castro has been blogging about the Cuban team. My favorite parts:

  • referring to Japan's most recognizable player as "the dangerous and enigmatic Ichiro" (that really is an incredibly spot on description, albeit one you wouldn't ever hear one of these new age, smart ass Neil Everett's say out loud)


So dangerous... so.... enigmatic.


  • The fact that Tener has something in common with this anti-American Cuban dictator: "The Japanese coach ordered a bunt from the second – and without doubt first-rate – batter of the team, and as a result, presented the opponents with their second out. I am sure that, for our experienced team, that would seemed an error whichever elemental way it is analyzed."

  • His way of describing the Japanese, who defeated Cuba in the final of the first World Baseball Classic in 2005: "I would like our victory in the Classic to be achieved at the expense of this team; a team that has tremendous technical expertise."

And now, it's time for photos of Fidel. Thank you, Google Images.




Umm... yes. I think I may frame this one. (If only a U.S. sniper had been on the rooftop at this game. Talk about two birds with one stone.)



Castro's "Cold War loser" face


Time heals all wounds


Or maybe not. They sure don't look too happy.

No comments: